Saturday 25 May 2013

Craft: Upcycle Tin Cans. Shabby Chic on the Cheap.

Time: 25mins
Skill: Easy
Cost: 20p - £2.00 (depending on if you buy the tin)
Awesome: Pretty Cool


So I got a bit bored and decided to play around. I had an old long hot dog tin from the other day's barbecue which I thought would make a good holder for my incense sticks. Problem was, it looked naff, so I took the label off and gave it a good wash.

Once dried, I spray painted inside a bit with white gloss paint just to give it a nice finish and then using superglue and jute garden twine, I went to town. The actual wrapping took about half an hour to do, mainly because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, it wouldn't take as long with a smaller can. 



My main tips from this are to use wet (not gel) superglue, that way you can simply squirt a bit onto the wrapping you have already done and it will seep through and attach the twine to the tin. I did this every inch or so of the wrapping and it's very solid.

The flower embellishment was from an old crochet doily which I gather up, tied with a short thread and cut off the excess. I used fabric glue to attach it to the twine. 


Please let me know if you would like to see a tutorial on how I made this!

No comments:

Post a Comment