Monday 18 February 2013

The Decline of the Common House Sparrow

The common House sparrow, I have quite a few where I live and they are always in the garden, gobbling up the leftover chicken feed and scattering about in the plants for odd crumbs and so forth.  There is also a nest they visit every year, it is an old ventilation flue in the wall and they always raise at least three to five babies.

You can imagine my surprise to find out that these little birds are on the Concerned list, which is pretty much one step away from endangered!

To give them a helping hand, I have fixed up another nest box for them to use if they see fit.

Cheap birdhouse mounted on bed slat

Birdhouse: £3.00 from Morrisons | Wood Pole: £free - it's form an old bed that broke | Wire: Scavenged





Female Common House Sparrow



I have always put food out for the birds all year, this photo was taken on the 18th Jan 2013 and shows the Sparrows quite well I think!

Feed the birds in winter

No comments:

Post a Comment