Tuesday 19 February 2013

Square Foot Gardening on the Cheap – Part III

Cat and Wheelbarrow So my cat had to come and watch all the hard work!

I filled the wheelbarrow twice with my home-made compost and if I hadn't of had two Aldi raised bed frames, it would have been plenty.

My back was pretty knackered by the second barrow load, and it wasn't very fast work to be fair. The shovel I was using was a ladies border shovel I borrowed off my mum years ago, and while it is good for digging holes, it's pretty poor at moving a lot of dirt. I need to get to a car-boot and buy a bigger one!
 English: Perlite, a common soil amendment, fro...

I also used perlite instead of vermiculite which is a bit of an experiment, but I had perlite on hand so in it went!

I also bought some Blood, Fish and Bone from Aldi when I got the raised bed frames. I also mixed a bit in as well, I'm guessing you can't have too much natural fertiliser. I figure that it's going to be a pretty intensive farming bed so the plants will need a bit of goodness.

Aldi Raised bed Filled

It feels as if I have put too much in, but to be honest, I still need some bagged compost to fill it up the rest of the way, so all in all the good stuff will be at the bottom, where the roots need it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment